TOP ACHIEVEMENTS OF THE DEPARTMENT
The Department of Civil Engineering has consistently produced Anna University Ranks every year.
||L Ajmal Ahamed
||K M Shrivarshini
Placement and Higher Studies
Most of the students are placed in MNC’s, Construction Industries and few others are pursuing higher studies both in India and abroad. Few of the companies and institutions are
- Alchimica Building Chemicals
- ZAMIL Steel
- The India Cements Limited
- L&T Construction Bial NSPR Project etc.
Research Proposals Submitted
- University of Windsor, Canada
- Carleton University, Canada
- National University of Singapore
- Tsinghua University, China
- College of Engineering, Guindy etc.
- Research proposal submitted by Dr. S. Geetha and Dr. M. Selvakumar to DST-WTI on "Efficient Urban Storm Water Management System Using Pervious Concrete and Asphalt
Pavements" for a budget of Rs. 40,24,350/-
- Dr. S. Geetha has submitted a research proposal to DST-FIST on "High Performance concrete with Nano mineral admixtures" for a budget of Rs. 40,24,350/-
- Dr. A. Rose Enid Teresa &Dr. Uma Maguesvari have submitted a research proposal on “Utilization of waste material into Health-Development of pervious concrete pavement
materials from industrial waste” for a budget of Rs.44,98,000/
- Research proposal submitted by Dr. S. Geetha and Dr. M. Selvakumar to DST-CRG on " High Strength Ductile Concrete Composite for Earthquake Resistant Structures" for a
budget of Rs. 39,42,371/-
- Research proposal submitted by Dr. S. Geetha and Dr. M. Selvakumar to DST (Waste Management Technology) on “Grinding Waste from automobile Industry as Sustainable
Construction Materials” for a budget of Rs. 41,85,371/
The Patent has been filed by Dr.S.Geetha and Dr.M.Selvakumar in the year 2018. The detail of the Patent is given below:
Patent application No. 201841035792, Date of entry 24th September 2018
“Grinding Waste from Automobile Industry As A Potential Construction Material”
Awards in Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering has more than 50 quality research publications of which many research publications are in International Journals with impact factor more than 2.
- Dr.S.Geetha, Professor has been selected as Reviewer for the following Journals:
- Composites Part B – Elsevier Publication
- Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering – ASCE
- Journal of Institution of Engineers Series A – Springer Publication.
- 9 research publications have been published by students along with faculty members in International Conferences and leading journals.
- Department of Civil Engineering received “Teaching Awards in Engineering” by Staffordshire University, UK and Education Matters for the year 2018-2019 for maintaining
- Department of Civil Engineering received “Best Student Chapter Award” from the Indian Concrete Institution for the academic year 2017-2018.
Faculty members namely Mrs.P.Anuradha, Mr.M.MahamoodUlHasan, Mrs.M.Gouthampriya, Mr.Krishnakumar and Mr.P.Muthaiyan are pursuing doctoral programme in Anna University and
Mr.S.Premkumar is pursuing doctoral programme in Saveetha School of Engineering.
Workshops & Conferences
Various workshops, seminars and conferences are conducted frequently to facilitate learning platform for faculty and students to explore and share knowledge in the latest fields in
Civil Engineering. Symposiums are conducted every year to enhance the organizational and creative skills of students and to engage them in different activities.
Contributions to Curriculum and Syllabus
Dr.M.Selvakumar, Dean and Professor served as a member of Board of Studies of Anna University for framing the Anna University 2019 regulation Curriculum and Syllabus for Civil
Students of Department of Civil Engineering have actively participated in competitions conducted by other institutions and brought laurels to our department. We are proud to mention
that students have won 36 prizes in paper presentation out of which 2 papers won the best paper award.
The students are exposed to real time construction activities. The students are taken for regular Industrial Visits to various construction sites, water treatment plants, Chennai port
trust and Research Laboratories like Structural Engineering Research Centre (SERC), IIT Madras Labs, Highway Research Station and Hydrological Research Station to update themselves with
the research activities taking place in this field.
The Faculty members and Students are encouraged to do courses in NPTEL regularly. Many faculty members and students got Elite and Gold grades in NPTEL Exams.
Dr. S. Geetha/Professor has joined women PDF on Sabbatical at IIT Madras with mentor Dr. K. Ramamurthy, Prof.& Head, Department of Civil Engineering, IIT Madras from 10th July
FDTP Organized by the Department
The Department of Civil Engineering in association with Anna University, Chennai organized a Six-Day Faculty Development Training Programme on CE6702 - PRESTRESSED CONCRETE STRUCTURES
from 3rd June 2019 to 10th June 2019. Partial Financial Assistance was provided by Anna University to conduct the programme. Speakers from reputed institutions and industries, shared
their experience and enlightened the Faculty gathering. Eminent speakers from IIT-Madras, Anna University, B.S. Abdur Rahman Crescent Institute of Science and Technology and Industries
like Jayam Construction, UtraCon Structural system, AECOM Constructions, Hi-tech Concrete solutions were invited to deliver valuable lecture on prestressed concrete construction. 13
external participants from various affiliated institutions and 5 internal participants from Rajalakshmi Engineering College attended the training programme and found it to be very
useful. The programme was inaugurated by Mr. M. Ramanathan, Director-Structures, Transit & Railways, Transportation, AECOM, Chennai followed by his lecture on “Basic concepts,
advantages, systems and methods of prestressing”.
Dr. S. Geetha/Professor has enrolled as Registered Structural Engineer Grade – I (SE) with Chennai Metropolitan Development Authority (CMDA) on 2nd April 2019.
List of Doctorates
Faculty Pursuing Doctorate
||Dr.A.Rose Enid Teresa
||Name of the Faculty
||Year of reg.
||Assistant Professor (SS)
||Assistant Professor (SS)
||Saveetha School of Engineering